From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|No. 96 – New York Jets|
|Born:||August 3, 1991|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||300 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Woodward Academy|
(College Park, Georgia)
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 3 / Pick: 93|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2019|
|Player stats at PFR|
Henry Wyatt Anderson (born August 3, 1991) is an American football defensive end for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Stanford, and was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
Anderson attended Woodward Academy in College Park, Georgia. He played football there under head coach Mark Miller, and he had 183 tackles and 20.5 sacks during his career. He totalled 81 tackles (14 for loss), 9.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and six pass breakups in 2009, leading Woodward Region 4AAA runner-up finish. He was named first team All-state in 2009 by the Atlanta Journal Constitution, was a three-time South Fulton Neighbor All-South Metro and a two-time All-4AAA Region pick. He played in the 2010 Offense-Defense All-American Bowl. He was rated as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com and was ranked as the nation’s 27th-best defensive end prospect in his class by Rivals, 42nd according to Scout.com. He committed to Stanford University to play college football.
Anderson also lettered in basketball and track & field. He won the state championship and broke the school record in the shot put with a throw of 17.44 meters (57-2). He also recorded a top-throw of 43.88 meters (143-9) in the discus and was a member of the 400m relay squad.
Anderson played at Stanford from 2010 to 2014. After redshirting his first year, he played in 13 games in 2011. He recorded six tackles and had a 37-yard fumble recovery. In 2012, Anderson started all 14 games and had 50 tackles and 5.5 sacks. In 2013, he played in eight games, missing six due to a knee injury. He finished the year with 19 tackles and three sacks. As a senior in 2014, he played in all 13 games and had 65 tackles and 8.5 sacks.
|Height||Weight||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|6 ft 6 in
|33 1⁄2 in
|9 3⁄4 in
|4.97 s||1.74 s||2.90 s||4.19 s||7.20 s||30.0 in
|9 ft 3 in
|All values from NFL Combine and Pro Day|
Anderson was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round (93rd overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. On November 8, during a 27–24 win over the then-undefeated Denver Broncos, Anderson suffered a knee injury and did not return to the game. The following day, he was placed on injured reserve, ending his 2015 season.
On November 9, 2017, Anderson was placed on injured reserve with a laryngeal fracture.
On April 28, 2018, Anderson was traded to the New York Jets in exchange for a seventh round pick previously traded from the Seattle Seahawks in the 2018 NFL Draft. The traded pick was used to select Zaire Franklin. He played in all 16 games with three starts, recording a career-high 35 combined tackles, seven sacks, and four passes defensed.
On March 12, 2019, Anderson signed a three-year, $25.2 million contract extension with the Jets.
Henry Anderson has been accused of taking cheap shots at players throughout his time in the NFL. He was most notably called out by Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott in December 2018 for a blind-side hit on Stephen Hauschka, and was again in the news for his late hit on Bills quarterback Josh Allen after Week 1 of the 2019 season. On September 14, 2019, he was fined $10,527 by the league office for his late hit on Allen.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved April 6, 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 'Goose' spreading wings on Stanford defensive line
- Stanford's Anderson poised for stardom
- Stanford's Anderson making up for lost time
- Anderson poised for dominant final season
- "Henry Anderson Draft Profile". NFL.com. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- Bowen, Kevin (November 9, 2015). "Colts Place Rookie Henry Anderson On Injured Reserve". colts.com. Archived from the original on November 12, 2015. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- Walker, Andrew (November 9, 2017). "Colts Place Henry Anderson On IR; Activate Denzelle Good". Colts.com.
- Wesseling, Chris (April 28, 2018). "Colts trade defensive end Henry Anderson to Jets". NFL.com.
- "Jets bring back revelation Henry Anderson for $25.2 million". New York Post. March 12, 2019.
- "Jets' Henry Anderson accused of dirty late hit on Bills QB Josh Allen". Sporting News. September 10, 2019.
- "Jets' Henry Anderson defends controversial hit on Bills kicker Steven Hauschka". Sporting News. December 12, 2018.
- "Jets' Henry Anderson fined for hit on Josh Allen". USA Today. September 14, 2019.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.