From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Organising body||Hong Kong Football Association|
|Current champions||Shandong Luneng|
|2020 Lunar New Year Cup|
The Lunar New Year Cup, previously known as the Carlsberg Challenge or the Carlsberg Cup, is an annual invitational football tournament organised in Hong Kong by the Hong Kong Football Association (HKFA) since 1908. It is usually held on the first and the fourth day of the Lunar New Year as a part of the new year celebrations. The tournament was called the Carlsberg Cup from 1986 to 1989, from 1993 to 2006 as Carlsberg was the major sponsor of the event.
Since the 2007 edition of the event, the competition has officially been known as the Lunar New Year Cup by the Hong Kong Football Association. This is because Carlsberg is now no longer the major sponsor but a mere co-sponsor. During 2011 and 2012, the name of the event was changed to Asian Challenge Cup.
In the period before and around the Second World War, the Lunar New Year Cup was competed for by teams from Hong Kong and citation needed] Since 1950, HKFA has invited at least one overseas team to enter the competition. Before 1982, there were three exhibition matches in the tournament. The first two were usually played by the Hong Kong national football team, Hong Kong player team and Hong Kong League XI while the  played the last match.[
In 1983, there was a main sponsorship for the competition for the first time and the number of invited teams was increased to three. From 1993 onwards, national teams rather than club teams were invited to participate in the competition.
|1983||Coupe du Solvil et Titus||Solvil et Titus|
|1984||Adidas Gold Cup||Adidas|
|2008||Wing Lung Bank Cup||Wing Lung Bank|
|2010||Fortis Insurance Company Tiger Lunar New Year Cup||Fortis Insurance Company|
|2011||RedMR Asian Challenge Cup||RedMR|
|2012||Nikon Asian Challenge Cup||Nikon|
|2013||China Mobile Satellite Communications Cup||China Mobile Satellite Communications|
|2017||Nike Lunar New Year Cup||Nike|
|2019||Tonghai Financial Chinese New Year Cup||China Tonghai Financial|
- China Mobile Satellite Communications Cup Final Busan IPARK (KOR) 1:0 Shanghai East Asia (CHN)
- Exciting Nike Lunar New Year Cup 2017 kicks-off Year of the Rooster on Saturday afternoon
- TONGHAI FINANCIAL Chinese New Year Cup 2019
- Hallelujah FC finished runners-up in Hongkong football tournament
- Daewoo FC finished 3rd in Adidas Cup
- Lucky-Goldstar FC finished 3rd Place in Carlsberg Cup
- Chan, Kin-wa. "Wuhan coronavirus: Lunar New Year Cup cancelled by government just hours after HKFA promotes the event". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 23 January 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.