From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Girls in White|
|Directed by||Victor Janson|
|Produced by||Hans von Wolzogen|
|Music by||Theo Mackeben|
Fabrikation Deutscher Filme
Set in pre-revolutionary Russia at the Smolny Institute, the film tells the story of the young student Daniela, who wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become an opera singer. The film's most famous song is "I am Here to be Happy" ("Ich bin auf der Welt glücklich zu sein").
- Maria Cebotari as Daniela
- Iván Petrovich as Count Feodor Ivanowitsch Schuwalow
- Hilde von Stolz as Natalia (a dancer)
- Georg Alexander as Grand Duke Sergej Andrejewitsch
- Ernst Dumcke as Opera Director
- Hans Junkermann as General Goremkin (Daniela's uncle)
- Ilse Fürstenberg as Irina (General Goremkin's wife)
- Herta Worell as Vera (schoolgirl)
- Trude Haefelin as Olga (schoolgirl)
- Rosette Zobber as Marina (schoolgirl)
- Eduard Wenck as Marignano (conductor)
- Norberto Ardelli as Cavallini (a famous tenor)
- Margarete Schön as Maria Petrowna
- Blandine Ebinger as Lydia Antonowana (nursery school teacher)
- Änne von Elms as Gilda in the opera Rigoletto
Contemporary American critics complimented Cebotari's work in the "operatic film." Variety noted that it was "not exactly a second 'Mädchen in Uniform' for world consumption," but praised Cebotari's performance.
- Alfred, Krautz (1984). International directory of cinematographers, set- and costume designers in film. Vol. 4. International Federation of Film Archives. p. 64. ISBN 978-3-598-21434-9.
- "Film Reviews – Maedchen in Weiss". Variety. October 7, 1936.
- Bock, Hans-Michael; Bergfelder, Tim, eds. (2009-09-30). The Concise Cinegraph: Encyclopaedia of German Cinema. Berghahn Books. doi:10.2307/j.ctt1x76dm6. ISBN 978-0-85745-565-9.
- violacarolavoila (2009-07-18), Maria Cebotari singt "Ich bin auf der Welt um glücklich zu sein", retrieved 2019-06-10
- "Musical Notes from Abroad". The Musical Times. 77 (1125): 1039. November 1936 – via JSTOR.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.