From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joseph T. Rickard
March 5, 1879
|Died||June 10, 1933 (aged 54)|
Talmage, California, USA
|Occupation||Wrestler, vaudevillian, screen actor|
Kalla Pasha was the stage name of Joseph T. Rickard, a native of Detroit. He was the professional wrestler Hamid Kalla Pasha, whom the press called "The Crazy Turk" before performing on vaudeville and appearing in 74 films between 1919 and 1931. Rickard's success with Mack Sennett enabled him to be a free-spender, claiming later he would often go about town with a 150 thousand dollars strapped around his waist.
The money did not last though, and not long afterward he was arrested for striking a man over the head with a milk bottle during a dust-up involving five cents. As a result, Rickard was sent to Mendocino State Hospital for psychiatric care, where he would die a little over a year later from heart disease.
- The Wicked Darling (1919)
- Love, Honor and Behave (1920)
- Down on the Farm (1920)
- Married Life (1920)
- A Small Town Idol (1921)
- The Dictator (1922)
- Ruggles of Red Gap (1923)
- Thirty Days (1922)
- Breaking Into Society (1923)
- A Million to Burn (1923)
- The Cat's Meow (1924)
- His Supreme Moment (1925)
- Heads Up (1925)
- Silken Shackles (1926)
- Don Juan's Three Nights (1926)
- When a Man Loves (1927)
- The Devil Dancer (1927)
- The Dove (1927)
- Tillie's Punctured Romance (1928)
- West of Zanzibar (1928)
- Seven Footprints to Satan (1929)
- The Show of Shows (1929)
- I Surrender Dear (1931)
- One More Chance (1931)
- US Passport Application (Joseph T. Rickard ) January 14, 1915
- The Daily Review, (Decatur, Illinois) December 18, 1909 | Page 3
- Ogden Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah ) April 3, 1932 | Page 6
- Redwood Journal (Ukiah, California) May 27, 1932 | Page 1
- Washington Post, June 11, 1933
- Balducci, Anthony (January 10, 2014). The Funny Parts: A History of Film Comedy Routines and Gags. McFarland. p. 264. ISBN 978-0-7864-8893-3.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.