From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|One Mile from Heaven|
|Directed by||Allan Dwan|
|Produced by||Sol M. Wurtzel|
|Screenplay by||Lou Breslow|
|Story by||Robin Harris|
|Edited by||Fred Allen|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
One Mile from Heaven is a 1937 American drama film directed by Allan Dwan and written by Lou Breslow and John Patrick. The film stars Claire Trevor, Sally Blane, Douglas Fowley, Fredi Washington, Joan Carroll and Ralf Harolde. The film was released on August 18, 1937, by 20th Century Fox.
While investigating a bogus murder story in a black neighborhood, a reporter, Lucy "Tex" Warren (Claire Trevor) notices little girl named Sunny who appears to be white. Tex also encounters Sunny's mother, Flora Jackson (Fredi Washington), a black seamstress. Suspicious of the claim, Tex and other reporters investigate, only to turn up evidence (photos and a hospital record) that support Flora's claim. Tex then encounters a prison convict who claims that Sunny is the child of a deceased criminal Cliff Lucas, who took the baby from his wife, Barbara (Sally Blane) when she attempted to leave him and then hired Flora to take care of the child. After Lucas was killed by police, Flora did not want the baby to go to an orphanage, so she reared Sunny as her own. Barbara, on being informed that her daughter is still alive (Cliff Lucas had told her that the baby had drowned), applies to recover her child and, after seeing Flora's strong attachment to Sunny, asks Flora to live with them as a nurse. Meanwhile, the judge forbids Tex to publish the story, feeling that the notoriety would negatively affect Sunny.
According to the Museum of Modern Art in 2013, One Mile from Heaven was "the last of the six Claire Trevor 'snappy' vehicles [Allan] Dwan made for Fox in the 1930s tests the limits of free expression on race in Hollywood while sometimes straining credulity."
- Claire Trevor as Lucy 'Tex' Warren
- Sally Blane as Barbara Harrison
- Douglas Fowley as Jim Tabor
- Fredi Washington as Flora Jackson
- Joan Carroll as Sunny
- Ralf Harolde as Moxie McGrath
- John Eldredge as Jerry Harrison
- Paul McVey as Johnny
- Ray Walker as Mortimer (Buck) Atlas
- Russell Hopton as Peter Brindell
- Chick Chandler as Charlie Milford
- Eddie "Rochester" Anderson as Henry Bangs
- Howard Hickman as Judge Clarke
- Bill Robinson as Officer Joe Dudley
- "One Mile from Heaven (1937) - Overview". TCM.com. 2012-02-03. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- Hal Erickson (2015). "One-Mile-From-Heaven - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on 2015-01-21. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
- "One Mile from Heaven". Afi.com. Retrieved 2015-10-04.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.