From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||William C. McGann|
|Screenplay by||John W. Krafft|
|Story by||Hugh Cummings|
|Produced by||Bryan Foy|
|Edited by||Frank Magee|
|Music by||Howard Jackson|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Sweepstakes Winner is a 1939 American comedy film directed by William C. McGann, written by John W. Krafft, and starring Marie Wilson, Johnnie Davis, Allen Jenkins, Charley Foy, Jerry Colonna and Frankie Burke. It was released by Warner Bros. on May 20, 1939.
A naive girl has $1,000 and is told to have two broke bookies bet it for her. They lose the money and she gets a job as a waitress. They come into the cafe and convince her to buy an Irish Sweepstakes ticket.
- Marie Wilson as Jennie Jones
- Johnnie Davis as Mark Downe
- Allen Jenkins as Xerxes 'Tip' Bailey
- Charley Foy as 'Jinx' Donovan
- Sam McDaniel as Mose
- Jerry Colonna as Nick
- Frankie Burke as Chalky Williams
- Vera Lewis as Mrs. McCarthy
- Granville Bates as Pop Reynolds
- Eddie Kane as Mr. Blake
- Bert Hanlon as Poolroom Guard
- George Lloyd as Dutch
- Sidney Bracey as Mr. Simpkins
- Charles Irwin as English Radio Announcer
- Bernice Pilot as Martha (Uncredited)
- American Film Institute 1999, p. 255. sfn error: no target: CITEREFAmerican_Film_Institute1999 (help)
- "Sweepstakes Winner". British Film Institute. United Kingdom. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- "Sweepstakes Winner". Turner Classic Movies. Atlanta: Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner). Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- "Sweepstakes Winner (1939) - Overview". Turner Classic Movies. Atlanta: Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner). Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Sandra Brennan (2015). "Sweepstakes-Winner - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. New York City: Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on December 22, 2015. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- "Sweepstakes Winner". American Film Institute. Los Angeles. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Palmer 1988, p. 53.
- McCann 2009, p. 266.
- The American Film Institute (1999). The 1941-1950: American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States: Feature Films (The AFI Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States) (3 Volume set ed.). Oakland, California: University of California Press. p. 255. ISBN 978-0520215214.
- Palmer, Scott (1988). A Who's Who of Australian and New Zealand Film Actors:The Sound Era. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. p. 53. ISBN 978-0810820906.
- McCann, Bob (2009). Encyclopedia of African American Actresses in Film and Television. New York City: McFarland & Company. p. 266. ISBN 978-0786437900.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.