From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Tongues of Flame|
|Directed by||Joseph Henabery|
|Written by||Townsend Martin|
|Based on||Tongues of Flame (novel)|
by Peter Clark MacFarlane
|Produced by||Adolph Zukor|
|Cinematography||Faxon M. Dean|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|70 minutes; 7 reels|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Tongues of Flame is a 1924 American silent melodrama film produced by Famous Players-Lasky and distributed through Paramount Pictures. It is based on a novel by Peter Clark MacFarlane and was directed by Joseph Henabery. The film starred Thomas Meighan and Bessie Love. It was produced by Famous Players-Lasky and distributed by Paramount Pictures.
The Native American Siwash people have been displaced from their land and live on a reservation. Wealthy Boland (Churchill) attempts to buy the reservation from the Siwash, who consult honest attorney Harrington (Meighan) for advice. Harrington looks into the contract and advises the Siwash to accept it. However, after the sale goes through, Boland drills for oil on the land, violating the contract. This angers Harrington, who exposes Boland's fraud. In retaliation, Boland has Harrington arrested on false charges.
A local court looks into the surveys associated with Boland's contracts, and returns all the Siwash native lands to them. Harrington is released from prison, and falls in love with the Siwash schoolteacher Lahleet (Love).
- Thomas Meighan as Henry Harrington
- Bessie Love as Lahleet
- Eileen Percy as Billie Boland
- Berton Churchill as Boland
- John Miltern as Scanlon
- Leslie Stowe as Hornblower
- Nick Thompson as Adam John
- Jerry Devine as Mickey
- Kate Mayhew as Mrs. Vickers
- Cyril Ring as Clayton
- Chief Henry Red Eagle as Indian sergeant
- Macfarlane, Peter Clark (1924). Tongues of Flame. New York: Cosmopolitan Book Corporation. OCLC 818810989.
- "Casts of Current Photoplays". Photoplay Magazine. 1925. p. 120.
- Love, Bessie (1977). From Hollywood with Love: An Autobiography of Bessie Love. London: Elm Tree Books. p. 152. OCLC 734075937.
- "Tongues of Flame (1924)". American Film Institute.
- Bennett, Carl (May 4, 2014). "Progressive Silent Film List: Tongues of Flame". silentera.com.
- Munden, Kenneth W., ed. (1971). The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures Produced in the United States: Feature Films 1921–1930. New York: R.R. Bowker Company. p. 819. ISBN 9780520215214. OCLC 664500075.
- "Tiresome Movie That Paramount Should Be Ashamed to Sell". Wid's Weekly. December 25, 1924. p. 10.
- Hilger, Michael (1986). "The Silent Films—1924". The American Indian in Film. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press. p. 41. ISBN 0-8108-1905-8.
- Langman, Larry (1992). A Guide to Silent Westerns. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 459–60. ISBN 978-0-313-27858-7.
- "Meighan Makes Picture with Indians Watching". Pittsburgh Press. Pittsburgh, PA. December 12, 1924. p. 113.
- "What the Stars Are Doing". Motion Picture Magazine. Vol. 28, no. 11. December 1924. p. 99.
- "American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog: Tongues of Flame". The Library of Congress. 1924.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.