From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Birth name||Elizabeth Applunius Chin|
|Born||12 April 1987|
|Occupation(s)||Singer / Songwriter|
|Years active||1998s – present|
Elizabeth Applunius Chin, also known as Esther Applunius or Esther OIAM 3 (born 12 April 1987 in Tambunan, Sabah, Malaysia) is a Malaysian singer. Her father, Applunius Chin of Papar, is a veteran musician on Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM).
The fifth of eight siblings, she studied at Shan Tao Kindergarten, SRJK (C) and Kota Kinabalu High School. Esther has enjoyed singing since she was nine years old, and at the age of 10 she was Sabah champion in the RTM singing contest Bintang Kecil.
Then in 2016 she won the first prize of RM39,999 in the Star Search 999 Singing Competition, an event organised by the Sabah-Labuan Motion Picture Traders and Entertainment Association (Slamptea).
Apart from her television appearances in One in a Million, Esther has entered and won many singing competitions since she started performing in 1998, including the 2005 Sugandoi Kaamatan singing contest and the 2008 PERTISA Award for the most popular singer in Sabah in the women's category.
She has also been a member of several bands, including D'Illusions, and has performed in a number of venues in Kota Kinabalu, the state capital of Sabah.
- 2005 – Esther Applunius (Kadazandusun album)
- 2009 – Menggapai Mimpi (Single)
- 2010 – Selalu (album)
- 2013 – Sipi-Sipi (Single) Chart Position: #1 (Borneo ERA FM, Sabah VFM)
- 2013 – Aku (Single) Chart Position: #1 (Borneo ERA FM)
- 2014 – 1 Dalam 2 (Unreleased)
- 2015 – If Only You Knew (NEW)
In December 2008, Esther auditioned for the third season of the reality TV singing competition One in a Million on 8TV, and reached the final of the competition. The following shows her progress through the competition:
|Week #/Date||Song choice||Original artist||Result|
|1st Week – 20 February 2009||Better in Time||Leona Lewis||Immunity/Top 12|
|2nd Week – 27 February 2009||Mengenangmu||Kerispatih||Top 11|
|3rd Week – 6 March 2009||I Try||Macy Gray||Top 10|
|4th Week – 13 March 2009||Dialah Di Hati||Datuk Siti Nurhaliza||Top 9|
|5th Week – 20 March 2009||Won't Go Home Without You||Maroon 5||Immunity/Top 8|
|6th Week – 27 March 2009||I Don't Love You||My Chemical Romance||Top 7|
|7th Week – 30 April 2009||Sweet About Me||Gabriella Cilmi||Top 6|
|8th Week – 10 April 2009||Legenda||Datuk Sheila Majid||Top 5|
|9th Week – 17 April 2009||One Night Only
Keeps Gettin' Better
Semua Jadi Satu
|Semi-final – 24 April 2009||Better in Time
Won't Go Home Without You
|Grand Finals – 1 May 2009||Mengapai Mimpi
Please don't stop the Music
|1st runner up|
In March 2011 she was the winner of the "Anugerah Juara Carta Lagu Artis Sabah" competition for her performance of the newly released song Selalu (Always), taken from her second album. The competition, organised by Sabah Radio Television Malaysia, encourages performers not only to sing, but also to write their own songs; the winning song Selalu is Esther's first major success in musical composition.
- Dennis Chua (1 May 2009). "Rose among the thorns". New Straits Times. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- Shamala Velu (1 May 2009). "Vying for top spot". The Star Online. Retrieved 5 July 2009.
- "Pentas OIAM minggu kelima milik Esther". Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd. 23 March 2009. Retrieved 5 July 2009.
- Shuib Taib (10 May 2009). "Shuib on Sunday: Esther". New Straits Times. Retrieved 5 July 2009.
- "Esther wins big in singing contest". The Borneo Post (Sabah). 2 December 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Sugandoi – a platform to take on world stage". Official Web Site of Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Environment, Sabah. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 5 July 2009.
- "One in a Million 3 Official Website". 8TV. 2009. Retrieved 5 July 2009.
- "Esther Applunius 'Selalu' jadi juara lagu". New Sabah Times. 21 March 2011. Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- Ramjit (14 March 2011). "Eight Finalists in Sabah Song, Best Artiste Competition". Bernama. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.