From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Festival date||28 August – 9 September 1956|
The 17th annual Venice International Film Festival was held from 28 August to 9 September 1956. No Golden Lion was given because there was a tie between The Burmese Harp (Japan) and Calle Mayor (Spain). The international jury was unable to decide the winner and the award was declared void.
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Production country|
|The Awakening||Suor Letizia||Mario Camerini||Italy|
|Bus Stop||Joshua Logan||USA|
|Empire in the Sun||L'impero del sole||Enrico Gras||Italy|
|The Captain from Köpenick||Der Hauptmann von Köpenick||Helmut Käutner||West Germany|
|A Hatful of Rain||Fred Zinnemann||USA|
|The Immortal Garrison||Бессмертный гарнизон Bessmertnyy garnizon||Zakhar Agranenko, Eduard Tisse||Soviet Union|
|The Ogre of Athens||Ο Δράκος O Drákos||Nikos Koundouros||Greece|
|Street of Shame||赤線地帯 Akasen chitai||Kenji Mizoguchi||Japan|
|Bigger Than Life||Nicholas Ray||USA|
|The Burmese Harp (a.k.a. Harp of Burma)||ビルマの竪琴 Biruma no tategoto||Kon Ichikawa||Japan|
|The Rocket from Calabuch||Calabuch||Luis García Berlanga||Spain|
|Main street||Calle Mayor||Juan Antonio Bardem||Spain|
|(lit.) "Bullfighter!"||Torero!||Carlos Velo||Mexico|
|(lit.) "The trip across Paris"||La Traversée de Paris||Claude Autant-Lara||France|
|Big and Small||Veliki i mali||Vladimir Pogačić||Yugoslavia|
- Volpi Cup:
- Best Actor - Bourvil (La Traversée de Paris)
- Best Actress - Maria Schell (Gervaise)
- Special Mention - Street of Shame (Kenji Mizoguchi), The Captain from Köpenick (Heinz Rühmann), Suor Letizia (Anna Magnani), L'impero del sole (Franco Bernetti, Mario Craveri, Ubaldo Marelli, Giovanni Raffaldi), Torero! (Carlos Velo), The Immortal Garrison (Zakhar Agranenko & Eduard Tisse), Calle Mayor (Betsy Blair), The Burmese Harp (Kon Ichikawa), Calle Mayor (Juan Antonio Bardem)
- New Cinema Award
- San Giorgio Prize
- FIPRESCI Prize
- OCIC Award
- Pasinetti Award
- "The 1950s [sic]". Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Roos, Fred (Spring 1957). "Venice Film Festival, 1956" (PDF). The Quarterly of Film Radio and Television. University of California Press. 11 (3): 249. doi:10.2307/1209744. Retrieved April 5, 2020.
The report began with a few sentences of praise for each of the 14 films [sic], and then selected the Japanese Harp of Burma and the Spanish Calle Mayor as being particularly outstanding. Since the jury was unable to decide which of these two films was the superior, it had decided not to award a grand prix "St. Mark Golden Lion" this year.
- "17. Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica di Venezia". La Biennale di Venezia (in Italian). Archivio Storico delle Arti Contemporanee. Retrieved April 23, 2020.
- "Juries for the 1950s [sic]". Retrieved October 8, 2013.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.