From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Jack McCall, Desperado|
|Directed by||Sidney Salkow|
|Produced by||Sam Katzman|
|Screenplay by||John O'Dea|
|Story by||David Chandler|
|Edited by||Aaron Stell|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
Jack McCall is a man from the South who joins the Union during the civil war. When he encounters three Confederate soldiers posing as Yankees, one of which is named Spargo, Jack tells them the place where the headquarters is located. Soon after he is tried as a spy. When Jack manages to escape, his cousin Bat McCall and Wild Bill Hickok kill his parents and plan to get hold of the McCall plantation and money. After the war Jack tries to prove his innocence and asks Spargo to testify. Spargo first agrees, but when Jack is captured again, Spargo decides to join Hickok and Bat. With the help of Rose Griffith, Jack manages to escape again and hopes to clear his name. Meanwhile, Hickok, Bat and Spargo have left for Kansas City. In search for gold, they plan to destroy the Sioux Indians. Jack, while still trying to clear his name, becomes aware of their plans and tries to stop them.
In November 1951 Katzan announced the film as part of his slate for the upcoming year.
In January 1952 Katzman announced that George Montgomery would make two films for the producer, this and The Pathfinder.
In April Douglas Kennedy was cast as Wild Bill Hickock.
- Brode p.230
- JACK McCALL, DESPERADO Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 20, Iss. 228, (Jan 1, 1953): 53.
- Drama: Dunne and MacMurray Reunion Hinted; Sam Katzman Slate Notable Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 21 Nov 1951: A7.
- Montgomery Will Star in 'Pathfinder;' Tucker Plays Mutineer Pirate Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 18 Jan 1952: 19.
- Pine-Thomas Will Film Story of Head Hunters; TV Beauty in Thriller Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 26 Apr 1952: 9.
- Douglas Brode. Shooting Stars of the Small Screen: Encyclopedia of TV Western Actors, 1946–Present. University of Texas Press, 2010.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.