From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Confederation||FIBA Europe (Europe)|
|Number of teams||10|
|Level on pyramid||1|
|Domestic cup(s)||Belgian Cup|
|International cup(s)||Champions League|
FIBA Europe Cup
|Current champions||Filou Oostende (21st title) |
|Most championships||Oostende (21 titles)|
|2020–21 Pro Basketball League|
The Pro Basketball League (PBL), for sponsorship reasons, known as the EuroMillions Basketball League, is the highest tier level professional basketball league in Belgium for clubs. Through 2014, for sponsorship reasons, the league was previously known as the Ethias League, and from 2014 to 2016, it was known as the Scoore! League, for sponsorship reasons. The league is organized by the Basketball League Belgium. The current president of the league is Arthur Goethals.
- Until 2014: Ethias League
- 2014–2016: Scooore! League
- 2016–present EuroMillions Basketball League
The BLB is played by the international FIBA rules. Since 2014–15 the BLB season has a new format. In the regular season, all teams play each other first home and away. After that first round the league is divided in two groups based on standings; in the first group teams ranked 1–6 play and in the second 7–11. After the split each team plays all others in its group once home and once away. After that the Playoffs are played by eight teams. The quarterfinals consist of best-of-three series and the semi- and finals are played in a best-of-five format.
- A-license: for teams who have more than a € 1 million budget. A-licensed team can qualify for European competitions.
- B-license: teams with at least a €750,000 budget. B-licensed teams can't qualify for European play.
- C-licence: given to teams that are on the rise, with a budget of at least €400,000. C-licenses do not allow teams to qualify for European play and have to get replaced by B-licenses after two years.
|Antwerp Giants||Antwerp||Lotto Arena||5,218|
|Belfius Mons-Hainaut||Mons||Mons Arena||4,000|
|Filou Oostende||Ostend||Sleuyter Arena||5,000|
|Kangoeroes Mechelen||Mechelen||De Winketaai||1,000|
|Okapi Aalst||Aalst||Okapi Forum||2,800|
|Phoenix Brussels||Brussels||Complexe sportif de Neder-Over-Hembeek||1,200|
|VOO Liège||Liège||Country Hall Ethias Liège||5,000|
Since 2005, play-offs are played to decide which team is crowned the champion of each season. The finals series are played in a best-of-five format, with the team which had the higher seed in the regular season having home court advantage.
|Team||Champions||Runners-up||Years champions||Years runners-up|
|Oostende||2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020||–|
|Spirou||4||2||2008, 2009, 2010, 2011||2005, 2012|
|Mons-Hainaut||–||4||–||2006, 2009, 2013, 2015|
|Okapi Aalstar||–||3||–||2011, 2014, 2016|
|Antwerp Giants||–||2||–||2018, 2019|
|Denotes a team that has been dissolved.|
|Oostende||1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020|
|Racing Mechelen+||1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1980, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994|
|Spirou||1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011|
|Antwerpse+||1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1973|
|Royal IV+||1939, 1942, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1958|
|Semailles+||1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951|
|Fresh Air||1937, 1938, 1978, 1979|
|Brussels A.C.+||1928, 1930, 1931, 1933|
|Daring B.C.+||1929, 1932, 1934|
|Standard Liège+||1968, 1970, 1977|
|Amicale Sportive+||1935, 1936|
Not all awards are official ones handed out by the league itself, but all are regarded and respected as BLB awards. As example the Belgian Player of the Year award is handed out by the Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad, but the league itself reports the winner on its website.
- "Statuten Pro Basketball League" (PDF) (in Dutch). Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Arthur Goethals nieuwe voorzitter Pro Basketball League". Het Nieuwsblad.
- "Basketbalcompetitie bij mannen definitief stopgezet: Oostende is weer kampioen". Sporza.be. 14 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Scooore! League makes way for Euromillions Basketball League". Scooore! League. 6 September 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "A, B en C-licentie in 2009-2010 in Ethias League". Nieuwsblad.be. March 12, 2009.
- "Licentiereglement vzw BLB ter deelname aan competitie – Types van licentie" (PDF). BLB. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.